Some progress towards base camp. Implemented better attenuation for point lights, added gloss and alpha maps, fixed many things regarding HDR lighting and tonemapping. What is left is the following:

  • Basic shadows
  • Some kind of crease darkening (SSAO)
  • Fixing the GUI

Then I should take a close look at the bandwidth usage… All buffers are very naïve at this time (RGBA 16F all the way)

Here comes a few nice glitch pictures from various stages of development. I like actually like the trippy visuals. Could be useful for expressions beyond the usual strive for realism hehe.

So, finally some screen shots. Now I have a threaded screen snapper in the framework so it actually produces movies at an ok framerate. These shots is from as short test videoclip and saved at approx 30 fps (every other frame) . The motion blur is little bit too much since I didn’t adapt to the time step, just brute force difference between consecutive frames matrices.

I feel that I am getting closer to my “base level” where I have a platform for real experimenting as well as for expression. I am trying to define this level right now but I guess some parts are very obvious like in game gui, shadows of some sort and a DoF that looks nice. The big thing I’m looking forward to after this is some kind of indirect illumination. Since I use sponza 2008 from Crytek as model it would be fitting to test light propagation volumes I guess :)
Many features work ok like hdr/tonemapping, 3d LUT color correction, deferred lighting, etc while some basics are missing. I’m thinking I will be at base level in one week or so. It’s all dependent on if I have the time. Being on paternal leave makes me very motivated but there is not much time for this little hobby…

Finally I have gathered old code merging it into a framework for quick prototyping of ideas. I Gave up on the idea of having it all raw C99 since my main focus is to rapidly test things, not write the most solid code ever seen. So C++ it is. An unholy combo of C+ classes and some template stuff when needed. Trying to stay away from STL as much as possible (Yes, I was a proponent for many years but have finally given up on it).
Anyway, at the moment I’m testing out some rendering ideas so I made a classic deferred renderer with some basic post effects (motion blur, color grading) and must say that it has been very joyful to work on.
I’m also very happy for the pipeline I’ve created/used. SCM using git on github, building with cmake, config/scene definition using Lua and mainly working in xcode4. I’ll post some screens soon.

yes, I am alive but I’ve stopped posting news here since I felt I didn’t have time to contribute anything of worth during the last year. Had a lot to do with the opening of the “Norrköping Visualization Centre”. (http://visualiseringscenter.se) Where I have been working on climate visualization in the large multiprojection dome theatre.

Currently I am on paternal leave living a somewhat more “mindful” life. Though, I just recently started writing a C++ coding framework salvaged from old code that I never connected before. Looking promising but hacky. Got a classic deferred renderer going, basic core primitives, vecmath etc. Looking forward to showing some screens.

Also started a new twitter account for posting things that I just have to say and that don’t fit linkedin, facebook or here. Mainly development related things

© 2011 CFW Design Suffusion theme by Sayontan Sinha